Thursday, June 11, 2009

Chess and Queen of the house

Camden has recently decided that he wants to learn to play chess. Why? I don't know. I have no clue how to play chess and have never had a desire to learn. I think this may be the reason he wants to learn - it's a game he will be able to win and manipulate because I will have no clue whether he's right or not. About a week ago he talked my dad into buying him a chess game and my dad has been trying to teach him some of the basics of the game. The names of pieces and the moves those pieces can make. One morning, I hear the following conversation take place between my dad and Camden.

JoJo - "Camden, you can't move that piece that way." (I'm sure he said the name of the game piece, but since I'm sure I'll get it incorrect I won't try to remember which one it was) "You have to move it in the shape of an 'L'."

Camden - (he moves the piece again in the same manner) "JoJo! I did! Look (motions the movement again) that is an 'L'."

JoJo - "Camden, you have to move it in the shape of an 'L' meaning one move over and one move up." (OK I could be a little off here - it might be two over and one up or one over and two up, but you get the idea)

Camden - (in his typical 6 year old sarcastic voice) "JoJo!! I DID move it in the shape of an 'L'... a LOWER CASE 'l'!!

He's so funny! I told him I would let him teach me to play, but I think I better do a little reading on the game first otherwise he'll make up his own rules!

The other night we were riding in the car and again, with chess on the brain, Camden starts telling us about all of the pieces and the moves they can make. He got to the queen and tells us that queen is the most powerful piece in the game and then this conversation takes place.

Camden - The queen is the most powerful piece of the game. Kind of like you mommy. You're the queen of our family, right?

Me - Uh. Sure. I like that analogy.

Braeden - (very confused) Mommy is not the queen. She's mommy!

Camden - Nuh uh Braeden. She's the queen of us. She's more powerful and is in charge of us all! Right mommy?

Again, very smart kid! :-)

1 comment:

Carrie S. said...

"Queen Mommy" - Def. a nice ring to that! lol. BTW - the "L" moving piece is the Knight. ;-) I can teach you how to play when I get back to work (I may be a little rusty, though).