Tuesday, August 4, 2009

24 hour camping

I have such fond memories of going camping as a child. Running and playing in the dirt, swinging from ropes into the river or lake, fried biscuits in the mornings and so on. My parents and I have been talking about taking the kids camping for a couple of years now, but I kept copping out saying Braeden was too young. It can be a lot of work to follow three young kids around an unfamiliar environment! Well, I finally gave in this year thinking they are now the perfect age. I would be able to let them run around the camp site and get dirty and play and not have to worry as much as I would chasing a young toddler around.

So, my parents, my sis, the kids and I loaded up last week and headed to Lake Livingston for the kids very first camping trip. Camden was really not looking forward to it much. He didn’t like the idea of sleeping outside (he was afraid he would sleep walk out of the tent and get lost?!), no TV, and being in water with sharks (I cleared that one up quickly). We had planned on definitely staying Thursday and Friday night, and possibly Saturday if the kids were doing well. We arrived to our camp site early Thursday afternoon and got the camp set up and the kids were slowly getting used to the idea. After we set up camp my sis and I took the kids to the designated campsite swimming area and while they were a little hesitant at first, they LOVED it! That’s all they needed, they were now fans of camping! I was so excited because we rented a boat for the next day and I just knew they would love that even more! We swam for about an hour and then headed back to our camp for dinner. I personally love grilled food, so I was very happy about dinner! :-) The kids ate and ran around and played some more as we settled in for the night. Camden went right to sleep in my parents’ tent. My sis and I were not so lucky with Maya and Braeden… I finally gave in and pulled out their Leapsters. It worked and everyone eventually fell asleep. Unfortunately, a rain storm woke me up in the middle of the night, but the kids were not fazed. We woke up the next morning hoping that it was just a summer shower and would pass so we headed to get our rental boat. Once there, my dad went inside to get the boat keys and the weather was on the TV and unfortunately the bad weather was there to stay. So we went back to camp and loaded up to head home – a mere 24 hours after we arrived.
The set up...

Our view... next time we're getting a site right on the water...

Wondering if he should eat the dirt...

Oops! They got a little crazy with the dirt and it ended up all over Maya's face...


Playing his Aunt Kimmy's Nintendo DS...
"I'm ready to fish! Can I wear JoJo's hat?"
The kids were a little disappointed that we didn’t get to go fishing, but we are headed back for our boat rental in a few weeks so they will finally get to fish then! Even though the trip didn’t last long, the kids did have a good time and we will definitely be going on another camping trip.

1 comment:

Carrie S. said...

Bummer about the weather. At least they had fun while they were there and you can convince them to go another time!