Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ahhh..... the memories!

With 3 young kids, I feel like I'm constantly behind when it comes to sorting through their clothes, weeding through the old, dingy and too small. This last weekend I spent some time doing just that and of course, some clothes bring back memories. Some sweet, some funny, some not so funny. I'm kind of middle of the road with this memory - between funny and NOT so funny. People always say "Oh, you'll look back and laugh at that someday!" Well this story I laugh about (a little) but I still boil a little inside when thinking about it.

A couple years ago I was in the kitchen cooking dinner when I realized the kids were being entirely TOO quiet to be doing anything good. I walked to the front of the house where the kids have taken over the front two rooms as toy rooms to check on them. I see Maya and Camden sitting in the foyer covered, and I mean completely covered, in black permanent marker! I really try not to get too frustrated at first because they're kids and they're curious and I must take some blame for leaving a marker within reach of two curious toddlers (they are probably 4 and 2 years old at this time). But I can tell as I start to ask Camden what happened that my blood is starting to boil.

Me - Camden, what in the world happened in here!
Camden - Maya did it!
Me - Really? Well then why is there marker all over both of her arms, legs and face? You're telling me she did ALL of this herself? And if so, why didn't you come tell me? You know this is bad!
Camden (realizing that I know he's lying) - Well... uh.... uh... I'm sorry mommy!

At this point, it's all setting in and I start to look around to survey the damage and there is permanent marker everywhere! The walls, the floor, their clothes, ALL over their bodies! I'm thinking to myself... there is no way they have been quiet for more than 5 or 10 minutes and they've done all this damage!? I decide I'm just too angry to spank them so, as usual, I start to lecture them!

Me - Camden and Maya, this is SO bad! You are NOT to play with markers, crayons, pens, pencils, or ANY writing utensil except at the table when you are coloring and an adult is watching you! You NEVER ever write on walls, floors, furniture or people! Do you understand me?
Camden - Yes mommy!
Maya - ....she's just crying at this point
Me - This marker may stay on you forever! I can't believe you guys did this! I'm going to have to re-paint the walls now!
Camden - Well mommy, can't you just paint the walls black??

How can I stay mad at him after that? Such a smarty!

I'm not sure if this is the shirt Maya was wearing that night because I seem to remember marker being all over her arms. So obviously she found a marker another day as well... you can see the black marks on the sleeves and on the belly! Regardless, this shirt brought back the memory of that night.

Oh and the markers and all other writing untesils are out of all of the kids reach now!

No comments: