Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Infomercial Overload!

I’m sure my kids are similar to most kids when it comes to wanting every toy and game they see on TV. My kiddos are constantly yelling out while watching TV “Mommy, look at this! I want that!” I typically glance at the TV and tell them “Yeah that would be cool to get, we’ll see” and go on about my business. Our television has been known to be on a cartoon channel fairly often because it’s difficult for me to actually watch/hear any adult show with all three kids running around. So, I usually leave it on cartoons while I do things around the house until they go to bed. Lately, Camden has been paying attention to a lot of commercials (in particular infomercials) and it’s amazing the things kids believe and think is cool!

Camden came into the living room last night to tell me about his latest discovery… the Space Bag! I was sitting, finally watching my own show, when he walks in to ask me “Do you know how you can save a lot of closet space?” I paused the TV, look at him with a confused look and said “No, I don’t. Why don’t you tell me.” He replied “With the Space Bag Mommy. Your clothes will all shrink into the bag and when you pull them out later, they’re as fresh as when you put them in the bag!” I asked him a few more questions and was just crying I was laughing so hard at how he was repeating the infomercial almost verbatim!


This past weekend while we were in Target, we passed one of the end caps and Camden yells out “Mommy! You HAVE to get that! You can wear the blanket without removing your arms because it has sleeves! It’s so cool! And you can even wear it to my baseball games next year!” I look over to see the Snuggie and I start cracking up. Of course I told him that I appreciate the thought but I think I’ll pass on buying a backwards robe… and then I had to explain that to him.


A few weeks back all of the kids were amazed by the ShamWow when it came on TV. I got bombarded with just how much liquid it could pick up and we really needed that in our house because they all have spilled drinks. I told them not to spill drinks and we wouldn’t need it! Of course, smarty pants Camden reminded me that they are just kids and they just can’t help it sometimes and that they don’t spill things on purpose!



Kids are funny with the things they pick up on and pay attention to. I just didn’t realize I would have to say no to toys, candy AND “fancy” infomercial items at this point in their lives. I had never paid attention to just how many informercials they play on the kids channels - but there are quite a few. Just one more thing for the "mean mommy" to say no to!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

William writes down the phone numbers for the things he wants to buy...with my money! He is desparate for the fishing pole that is like a gun!

Carrie S. said...

Camden is going to be the next Billy Mays.

I was obsessed with the food dehydrater when I was little. I would think of all of the fruit rollups I could make! lol.

LA said...

It's the "other" Osina. I commented on the appropriate entry. :)