Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pumpkin Patch Sunday

Maya and Braeden had a pumpkin patch day at MDO on Friday. Camden was so jealous that I promised him we would go to a pumpkin patch on Sunday with all of us to make up for it. Little did Camden know that a pumpkin patch was literally where you go to pick out pumpkins, I think he thought it was more like a fall festival (we've been to pumpkin patches before but I guess when you're 6 you just don't think about it). When I figured this out, I played it up so much that Camden was really looking forward to it! So we get to the pumpkin patch today and Braeden throws the biggest fit about taking his blanket out there and I refuse to let him, so he decides he's not interested in picking out a pumpkin and clings to me for the first 10 minutes while Camden and Maya look for the perfect one. Little did I know that the best place for Braeden was my hip! When the kid finally got down and started looking for "his" pumpkin (I let each kid pick their own) he went around picking up pumpkins, inspecting them, and when they weren't satisfactory, he THREW them back into their place! I kept trying to get him to stop and he wasn't trying to be mean about it, but he's such a little brute about things that's just the way he is. Needless to say, they all picked out their own pumpkin to decorate for our yard. I'm sure it's just me, because I'm an accountant and don't have an artistic bone in me (hence the cop-out for decoratring the pumpkins below). But I was trying to give a "math" lesson at the pumpkin patch, but the obviously irritated, been out there too long, mom, was having nothing to do with it! When the kids put their pumpkins up on the table for the oh so kind lady to measure them and tell us how much we owe her, she tells us $5, $4 and $4. So I say to Camden, can you add that up and tell mommy how much to pay the nice lady? He's 6 years old people.... he gets to 5 + 4 is 9 + 4 is..... and the lady interrupts and says, that'll be $13 dollars ma'am. HELLO!!! I KNOW she can hear my child, right in front of her, trying to add and tell me what I owe her, but no, she just blurts it out. Not a big deal if there were a line of people behind me, waiting to pay, but no, not a soul in sight!! I politely sigh (is it possible to politely sigh) and pay and tell Camden he did a good job and he'll get it next time!

The kids with their pumpkin picks...
Look how strong I am Mommy...
My not so artistic side is obvious here, so I took the easy way out, sue me! Braeden chose the pirate (or as he calls it "arrrghhh"), Camden chose the vampire, and of course, Maya chose the princess...

No comments: