Thursday, February 19, 2009

100th Day of School

Yesterday marked the 100th day of school! Wow, I just can’t believe it. It seems like Camden began kindergarten just a few weeks ago. Tonight, he read his usual class guided reading books and another book that I let him pick from our home book selection (one he hadn’t read before). I’ve been challenging his reading lately because he memorizes the guided reading books he gets from class and breezes through them at home. He’s been doing amazing with the new books. He is properly sounding the words out and really learning to read. Tonight, he read a book without much help from me at all! I was very impressed!!

To mark the 100th day of school, the kindergarten classes in his school had a parade and the kids wore homemade t-shirts. Well, I missed the note sent home from the teacher (I swear the note never made it to Camden’s folder, because I’m pretty diligent about looking through it after the “star of the week” poster board fiasco). So you can imagine my shock when the teacher sends out an email on Tuesday to remind all the parents of the parade the next day and “remember to wear your 100th day t-shirt.” At that point, I panicked because I knew nothing about a t-shirt, but I did remember I was supposed to send him to school with 100 things in a baggy (so the kids can practice their counting).

I probably shouldn’t admit this little tidbit of information, but I had remembered that I needed to gather the 100 items a little earlier in the day while at work. I racked my brain thinking what I might have at home to use (so that I didn’t have to stop by the store on the way home) and came up with nothing. And here comes the “I shouldn’t admit this part” – I decided to gather office supplies! :-) I went and gathered paper clips, binder rings and binder clips. I figured no one else in the class would have these items, so he's set!

In the meantime, I reply to the teachers email asking if the t-shirt was being sent home that day or did I miss buying it? Of course not! She replies to me individually and then to the entire class as clarification that the 100th day t-shirt is a shirt that you make at home with your child (which is a little fishy to me because if she sent a note home, why is there a need for clarification?? well it makes me feel better to think that it wasn’t just me that missed it anyways).

Needless to say, I stopped by the store on the way home to buy materials to make the t-shirt and the gather 100 items so he didn’t have to show up with office supplies! We spent a couple hours that night making t-shirts (yep I said t-shirts plural because they all 3 got one) and counting the 100 items.

All 3 finished t-shirts.... note Camden's has 100 painted dots on it... since the t-shirt was requested to have 100 items on it!

Maya loves her t-shirt...

Camden counted the 100 foam letters for his baggy (NOT office supplies) out by 5's, his idea to count by 5's and all on his own...

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Good Old 100 days shirts...I hope you got some good ideas since you will be doing it again next year with Maya!